Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Wednesday, 03 November, 2010: A2 Class

In this lesson, we read and talked about the article "School of the Air".

air --> what is all around us, what we breathe, what we need to live
the air -->the radio.  Invisible radio waves travel through air to your radio so you can hear the news and music.
You are on the air.  -> You are on the radio.

Then, we made a word web.  We brainstormed all the words we could think of that had to do with school:

SCHOOL: quiz / think / IQ / computer / cafeteria / book / notebooks / lessons / pens / pencils / eraser / bag / backpack / ruler / homework / listen / teacher / weekends / write / students / exercise / school days / tests / learn / time / secrets / security / tables / desks / toilets / gym / janitors / class / flowers / lesson planning

Finally, we read the article "School of the Air", and talked about some difficult vocabulary:


resources --> a source of supply or aid to help you accomplish something (resources include things like a computer, the internet, books, pens, pencils, paper, people, etc)
prepare --> get ready for something.  Teachers prepare lessons.  Students prepare for a test.
communicate --> talk with someone through talking, writing, etc.
fax --> like a big telephone that allows you to send documents (letters)
isolated --> very remote; far from other people.
attend --> go to
each --> every
nearest --> closest
area --> a big space of land, possibly like an aimag
kind --> type
private --> individual, personal, not public
provide --> give

We also learned the expression "I have a bone to pick with you."  If I say this to you, it means that I'm going to pick a little fight with you because something you have done troubles me.  In this instance, my bone which I have to pick with you involves the fact that nobody does their homework for my class.  However, since starting next term, I will be giving grades for my English class, and since part of your grade will be based on your homework, the fact that you don't do my homework is no longer my problem, it's yours.  Good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment